Symmastia: There is a solution to get rid of it
A beautiful décolleté underlines the femininity of the woman. The depression between the breasts is considered sensual and is therefore accentuated with various garments such as ball gowns, evening dresses, lingerie and swimwear. The groove between both breasts is called Sulcus intermammarius or Sinus mammarum. In a symmetry, this depression can be eliminated.
What is symmastia?
A symmastia is is when your breasts are grown together. The malformation can be congenital or the result of an unsuccessful breast augmentation with implants. In both cases, the removed depression in the midline can be aesthetically disturbing. In the case of breast augmentation with implants, the cause is a detachment of the pectoral muscle from the sternum beyond the necessary extent.
How is a symmastia correction performed?
Before each operation, the patient is meticulously checked several times to ensure maximum patient safety. The operation is not started until all requirements have been met according to the checklist.
Prior to the procedure, the surgeon marks the patient’s breasts in a standing position. If the patient has opted for an operation in twilight sleep, she will be administered appropriate medication to calm her down on the one hand and to reduce her sensitivity to pain on the other. So at most you feel touches on the surface of the body, if you do not sleep without.
The breast implant with the surrounding capsule is removed through a small skin incision in the area of the underbust fold. The pectoral muscle is then reattached to the sternum. Towards the midline, the scar tissue is tightly closed. The pocket into which the new implants are inserted is formed above the pectoral muscle. With the Keller-Funnel method, the new breast implants are inserted gently and precisely. The process is also known as the “no-touch” technique. This prevents the implant from coming into contact with the skin or the surgeon’s hands. Depending on the findings, the insertion of drainage tubes may be necessary. These can be removed again after a short period. Finally, the wound is closed. Self-dissolving threads are used for this purpose. The dissolution of these is completed after approximately three weeks, so that no stitches need to be removed.
If necessary, an additional own fat treatment can be carried out for an optimal result. The advantages of own fat treatment are: an emphasis on the cleavage, a prevention of wrinkling of the implant and an improvement in skin quality. In the operating room you will be placed in a sitting position (while still asleep) before the end of the breast augmentation operation in order to check whether the shape of the breast meets the highest standards when sitting or lying down. Finally, a bandage and a special support bra are applied.
The procedure is performed on an outpatient basis. The duration of the operation is approximately 180 minutes. Immediately after the operation you will be continuously monitored in a special recovery room. When you are fully awake, you may drink some liquid and, if you feel like it, eat something. At the end of the surgery day, the practice will arrange follow-up appointments with you. You will be given a detailed description of the aftercare measures and a comprehensive report in written form. In addition, you will receive a phone number where you can reach the surgeon in an emergency 24 / 7.
At CenterPlast, patients have the option of using virtual reality goggles during surgical procedures. This makes it possible to watch movies or even favorite series before, during and after the procedure, which is not only entertaining but also leads to less pain sensitivity due to the distraction. This has been proven in studies.
Facts about the correction of symmastia
How can you prepare for the correction of symmastia?
- In the run-up to the operation to correct symmastia, all your questions should be answered. You will be informed in detail about possible complications and alternative treatments during the consultation. Do not hesitate to ask further questions.
- Keep nicotine and alcohol consumption to a minimum.
- Drugs containing hormones, such as the contraceptive pill, must not be taken for a certain period of time.
- Consult your doctor if you regularly take blood-thinning medication. These include, for example, ASS or Thomapyrin®. These must be discontinued ten days before the procedure.
- Stop taking any vitamin preparations (A, E) and food supplements such as omega-3 fatty acids or St. John’s wort preparations as early as four weeks before the surgery date.
- Surgical procedures limit fitness for air travel. Do not plan any professional or private air travel during the four weeks following the operation.
- Take out follow-up insurance before an aesthetic operation.
- On the day of the operation, shower with a disinfectant soap (e.g. HiBiScrub® Plus, Octenisan® Wash Lotion, Prontoderm® Shower Gel).
What do you have to consider after correcting the symmetry?
- Your well-being and the result of the operation will be checked regularly.
- Make sure that your upper body is raised by 30 degrees during the first five days, including when you sleep. This ensures better decongestation and wound healing.
- During the first six weeks you should sleep on your back. This reduces the risk of the implants slipping or twisting.
- From the third postoperative day, you can shower in the CenterPlast Saarbrücken before the wound check.
- Wear the previously fitted support bras continuously for six weeks.
- Massage the scar several times a day for a few minutes from the third postoperative week. Use an oily cream such as Bepanthen® Ointment or Linola® Fat. Pay attention to circular, longitudinal and transverse movements of the scar. These measures help to create an inconspicuous scar.
- Avoid bending over, lifting heavy loads, swimming, sauna, sexual intercourse and sporting activities for four weeks. If swelling still exists, a longer period of rest may be advisable.
- Smoking prevents the transplanted fat cells from healing and increases the risk of inflammation and thrombosis. Avoid smoking tobacco and e-cigarettes for six weeks after the operation.
“We provide you with extensive expert knowledge so that we can work with you to select the best possible treatment path.”
Dr. med. Stéphane steel is the former director of the Clinic for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery / Hand Surgery at the Lüdenscheid Clinic. Dr. Stahl studied medicine at the Universities of Freiburg and Berlin. In 2011 he passed the European and 2012 the German specialist examination for plastic and aesthetic surgery. Further specialist qualifications and additional qualifications followed (including quality management, medical didactics, physical therapy, emergency medicine, laser protection officers, hand surgery) as well as prizes and awards. In 2015 he completed his habilitation in plastic and aesthetic surgery in Tübingen. He is an experienced microsurgeon, a sought-after expert and a regular speaker at specialist congresses. After a multi-stage selection process, Stéphane Stahl became a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), one of the world’s largest and most influential specialist societies for aesthetic surgery. His authorship includes numerous articles in respected peer review journals and standard surgical textbooks.