The shape and symmetry of the auricles are decisive for the aesthetic harmony of the face. The angle from which a face is viewed has an influence on the viewer’s attention and aesthetic perception. Scientific research suggests that faces viewed in a semi-profile (thirty to forty-five degree angles) are more beautiful. From the semi-profile view, the proportions of the face and ears can be better assessed.
The ear has a complex three-dimensional shape. The shape and size of the ear vary according to age, sex and ethnic origin. The cartilage structure of the outer ear is divided from the outside to the inside into three units: the thickened edge of the auricle (helix) and the earlobe, the ear fold or bulge (anthelix) and the antitragus and ear cavity (concha). The ear cartilage is one to three millimetres thick. At the front, the skin lies firmly on the cartilage, while at the back of the ear, the skin is easily movable. The outer edge of the auricle and the ear fold are the most visible features of the ear. The outer and inner ear folds shape the aesthetic perception of the ear.
Which ear deformities are treated in CenterPlast Saarbrücken?
An ear correction (earmold) serves to improve the alignment of the ear with the skull. A plastic ear restoration also restores the shape of the ear cartilage, the natural proportions and the symmetry of the auricles. The following malformations are corrected in the CenterPlast Saarbrücken:
- Pocket ear (cryptoty): The upper part of the auricle is underdeveloped and hidden under a skin pocket.
- Lop ear, rolled ear (lop ear or shell ear): This is a malformation of the upper third of the auricle. The longitudinal diameter of the ear is reduced. In pronounced cases, the ear may be slightly lower overall.
- Cup ear” or “constricted ear”: There is an excess of skin overhanging the upper edge of the auricle (helix). The upper edge of the auricle and the ear fold are thinned out and lead to a protrusion of the upper auricle.
- Oversized ears (macrotia): The length of the adult ear is 55-65 mm. The width of the ears is about 50-60% of the height of the ears. With oversized ears, these natural proportions are far exceeded.
- Question mark ear: Question mark ears that occur on both sides are a rare hereditary malformation that leads to a “question mark” shape of the ear. In the case of a question mark ear, a gap runs transversely between the middle and lower third of the auricle.
- Spock ear, pointed ear, crinkled ear (“crumpled ear”): The Spock ear has a fold at the upper outer edge of the auricle. The upper part of the auricle is tapered.
- Steel ear deformity (“Stahl’s ear”): In the upper part of the auricle, a third excess longitudinal fold has formed.
- Supernumerary ear appendages, preauricular appendages, auricular appendages (“preauricular tags”, “polyotie”): A scattering of the original cells in the womb results in the formation of a rudimentary supernumerary auricle. Tissue knots are often found in front of the ear.
What can you expect during a consultation on an earmould?
In a consultation with underage patients, both parents must be accompanied and informed. Dr. Santos Stahl asks about your lifestyle, the use of medication, allergies and previous illnesses. These factors are very important for the consultation, planning, anesthesia, surgical technique and follow-up treatment. She discusses your goals with you as well as the possibilities and limitations of an ear correction.
Dr. Santos Stahl then examines the position, size and shape of the auricles. She measures the angle between the skull and the ear cavity (concha mastoid angle) and the angle between the ear cavity and the outer ear (concha scapha angle). The distance between the outer edge of the auricle and the skull is documented in several places. Then the ears are photographed to create a treatment plan.
Discuss your expectations openly with the ear surgery expert. Often a poorly informed patient or surgeon is the cause of an unsatisfactory result, even if there are no complications during the operation. The individual steps of the operation and possible costs will be explained to you in a transparent and comprehensible manner. During the initial consultation we take the time you need. Nevertheless, questions often arise later. Therefore, we usually arrange a second consultation to answer all your questions and eliminate any doubts.
Why an ear correction at the CenterPlast group practice?
Dr. Santos Stahl has specialized in the field of ear surgery. In order to be able to offer ear surgery at the highest level, Dr. Santos Stahl studied for one year with Dr. Firmin in Paris. Dr. Firmin is a world-renowned plastic surgeon in the field of ear surgery. Dr. Santos Stahl specialized for 4 years in the field of facial surgery with Professor Gubisch in Stuttgart. Later she perfected her techniques with the most influential plastic surgeons in Dallas, Oakland and Salt Lake City – thanks to a scholarship from the largest professional association of plastic surgeons in Germany (VDÄPC). Brazil has been a pioneer in aesthetic surgery for decades and is considered the cradle of cosmetic surgery. Dr. Santos Stahl has acquired the Brazilian, German and European specialist qualifications.
Author: Stéphane Stahl, MD, PhD. There are no financial relationships with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries that could have influenced the above text. Any reproduction, even partial, is permitted for personal use only. All texts used on this website are protected by copyright.