Cheek correction / correction of the cheeks
High cheekbones, narrow cheeks and prominent jaw angles are a symbol of youthfulness and femininity. To emphasize the contours, make-up is used to lighten the cheekbones and rouge is applied immediately below the cheekbones. A congenital fat distribution disorder can lead to a round face. When the fatty tissue or bone atrophies with age, the contours can fade. This is where a cheek correction can help.
The loss of volume mainly affects the deep fat pads. The superficial fat cushions, on the other hand, hardly change at all with the same body weight. This leads to irregular transitions in the different regions of the face. This creates the impression of sagging and excess skin in certain regions of the face. Knowledge of facial anatomy and the ability to identify which fat pads have lost volume allows for targeted and effective correction of the cheeks.
Sometimes sunken cheeks are also inherited. Harmonious contours can be permanently restored by various methods. Before every treatment, a holistic examination of the face is necessary. Especially the adjacent regions such as the eyes, the ears, the neck and the lips should be taken into consideration when making the desired changes.
What cheek contouring techniques do we offer?
The tissue injection in the area of the midface is especially indicated to avoid:
- to emphasize the contour of the cheekbow.
- To reduce the wrinkles in front of the ears.
- Correct the collapsed temples.
An injection can be performed with nanofat or hyaluronic acid. The effect of hyaluronic acid lasts about six to nine months. The nanofat treatment leads to a lasting result.
Why should you entrust yourself to an experienced plastic and aesthetic surgeon?
The improvement of the cheek contours requires more than mastery of a treatment method such as injection. The injection of the fat pads has limits that are determined by the anatomy. If the skin connective tissue is flaccid and there is excess skin, a face lift helps to achieve a harmonious and naturally rejuvenated appearance. The choice of the individually best treatment method should not be based on the abilities of the doctor, but on the needs of the patient.
Hyaluronic acid does not require a prescription, but the antidote Hylase®, which should always be present in an emergency, requires a prescription.
A precise knowledge of the anatomy is important in order to identify which fat deposits have lost volume and require treatment. Disregarding natural proportions quickly leads to an unnatural result. Therefore, the surgeon should also be able to perform other surgical procedures.
Remove cheek grease
The removal of the buccal fat plug (Corpus adiposum buccae, also known as the “Bichat fat body”) is suitable:
- Correction of chubby cheeks.
Liposuction of the cheeks
Liposuction on the cheeks is an effective way to
- Contouring of the cheekbone and
- Narrowing of the face.
For a well-proportioned natural result, liposuction is usually combined with treatment of the neck and chin.
Tightening of the midface
The tightening of the midface via an access at the lower lid:
- removes bags under the eyes and provides for
- a harmonious transition of the lower eyelid to the cheek.
Lower face lift
The facelift with doubling of the deep connective tissue (SMAS) is suitable to:
- to emphasize the cheekbones.
- Correct wrinkles between the lower lip and chin (mentolabial folds, marionette wrinkles).
- To soften wrinkles between the wing of the nose and the corner of the mouth (nasolabial folds).
- To restore a distinctive contour of the lower jaw (“jawline”).
- to get rid of sagging cheeks.
The combination of a lower face lift and a neck lift is particularly effective to improve the jaw neck transition.
A Miniface-Lift is particularly suitable for:
- Wrinkle correction in front of the ear.
- Emphasis on the cheekbones.
A needling treatment effectively leads to one:
- Correction of dark skin spots.
- Reduction of vascular drawing.
- Refinement of coarse pored skin.
Therapy with the body’s own blood can:
- the skin texture can be improved.
How can you prepare for a cheek correction?
- All questions about possible complications as well as alternative types of treatment should be answered before the cheek correction.
- Limit nicotine and alcohol consumption to a minimum before cheek surgery.
- Taking hormone-containing medication (the pill): must be temporarily discontinued.
- Blood-thinning medications such as ASS or Thomapyrin®: Discontinue at least once a year. 10 days before the cheek correction (after consultation with your attending physician).
- Food supplements (omega-3 fatty acids, St. John’s wort preparations, etc.) and vitamin preparations (A, E) must be discontinued at least 4 weeks before the surgical procedure.
- Have ice cubes and/or cooling pads ready at home. These are used to cool the skin after surgery.
- Surgeries limit fitness for air travel. Therefore, do not plan any air travel (both business and private) during the 6 weeks after the cheek correction.
- Before performing aesthetic procedures, it is always recommended to take out consequential costs insurance.
How are face operations performed?
Just as a pilot checks his plane before every take-off, a routine check is made several times before every operation to ensure that all necessary precautions have been taken for the maximum safety of the patient. The operation is then not started until the entire checklist has been worked through. This ensures that all prerequisites are met.
If the facial surgery is performed in twilight sleep, you will be given medication to relieve your fear of the surgery and reduce your sensitivity to pain. Anesthetic injections numb the surgical area within five to ten minutes. If you are not already deeply asleep, you will at most feel something happening on the surface of your body. Minor procedures such as cheek fat removal, liposuction, or a mini-facelift can be performed under local anesthesia and twilight sleep.
The duration of the operation varies depending on the extent and extent of the operation. Minor procedures such as the removal of cheek fat, liposuction or a mini face lift take 30 minutes to two hours. The incision of a facelift runs along natural dividing lines and wrinkle lines or behind the ear. A facelift takes three to five hours, depending on the technique and additional procedures. The stitches are removed after five to six days. The removal of the cheek fat clot is achieved by an access at the level of the second upper molar tooth. As a rule, self-dissolving sutures are used here.
Immediately after the operation, you will be continuously monitored in a so-called recovery room at CenterPlast. You can take some liquid after you fully wake up. It is also possible to eat something if you already tolerate it well. Before the patient leaves the practice, check-up appointments are made and behavioral measures for the follow-up period are discussed. You will receive a written report and a phone number. The surgeon can be reached at this number throughout the day (24 hours) in case of an emergency.
What do you have to consider after a cheek correction?
- The recommended elevation of the upper body of approx. 30 degrees (incl. when sleeping) for 5 days is beneficial for decongestion and wound healing.
- Showering is allowed (immediately prior to your wound check) from postoperative day 1.
- In the case of a face lift, a previously fitted compression mask should be worn 24 hours a day and for a period of one week. After that, it is enough to wear them at night for another week.
- The skin wires are removed about five to six days after the operation.
- Lymphatic drainage from the 14th day postoperatively reduces edema.
- From the third postoperative week onwards, massaging several times a day for a few minutes will help. circular, as well as along and across the course of the scar with greasing creams (e.g. Bepanthen® Ointment or Linola® Fat) to inconspicuous scars.
- After about two or even three weeks, you can return to work. By then the swellings and the coarsest effusions have disappeared.
- Regular checks of your well-being and surgical outcome follow.
- Lifting heavy loads, bending, swimming, sauna and sports activities should be avoided for 3 weeks. If swelling is still present, it is advisable to extend the recovery phase.
- Avoid excessive UV radiation: Solarium/ sunbathing, min. for three months.
“Our goal is to provide the best, most discreet and precise treatment based on our extensive expertise in plastic surgery. „
Dr. Adelana Santos Stahl is distinguished by a unique international perspective with a feminine view of plastic surgery. Her personalized and detailed approach is key to the beautiful and natural results she achieves. Having trained in Brazil, one of the largest and most well-known countries for aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgery, she understands her patients’ desire to look and feel their best. She completed her medical studies and her training as a specialist for plastic and aesthetic surgery in Brazil. In 2009, she also successfully passed the German equivalence examinations for the medical state examination. Two years later, in 2011 she received the German and in 2012 the EU specialist recognition (EBOPRAS) for plastic surgery. From 2009 to 2013, she deepened her knowledge of aesthetic and reconstructive facial surgery with world-renowned representatives of plastic surgery such as Professor Gubisch at the Marienhospital and Madame Firmin in Paris. A VDÄPC Fellowship (continuing fellowship for graduate students) in Switzerland, France and the USA has further enriched her professional experience. Dr. Santos Stahl is active in several prestigious professional societies. Besides the DGPRÄC and DGBT, she is also a member of the Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgery – SBCP. She is also the author of several scientific articles and, together with her husband, is dedicated to research and clinical studies in the field of plastic surgery.