Abdominoplasty in Saarbrücken
A tummy tuck or “abdominoplasty” is a surgical technique used to remove excess skin from the abdomen. In Germany, this operation was performed over 24,000 times in 2019 (924,000 times worldwide) . Operations to beautify the abdominal contour were first described in 1890  and have been continuously developed since then.
Methods of abdominoplasty
Depending on your needs, the tummy tuck can be combined with liposuction, for example on the abdomen or waist. If after pregnancy the straight abdominal muscles have moved apart, it is possible to bring the abdominal muscles back to their original position during the tummy tuck. There are essentially three
Types of abdominoplasty distinguished:
- Abdominoplasty (also called abdominoplasty, upper abdominoplasty, complete abdominoplasty or major abdominoplasty): During the surgical procedure, the skin between the lower edge of the costal arch and the mons pubis is tightened. The excess skin between the navel and the mons pubis is removed. At the same time, the large tummy tuck also removes stretch marks from the lower part of the abdomen. The skin between the ribs and the belly button is loosened and moved downwards. During this classic tummy tuck, the skin in the bikini area is closed, leaving a fine and inconspicuous horizontal scar. The belly button itself is not actually moved by the cosmetic surgery doctor. Rather, the belly button is given an opening in the skin mantle that is tightened above it. After all, the fine scar around the belly button is barely visible.
- Lower abdominoplasty (also called mini-abdominoplasty or small abdominoplasty): In this lower abdominoplasty surgical method, the area between the belly button and the mons pubis is tightened. The wrinkled skin is removed in a spindle shape during the mini tummy tuck. After the wound has been closed, a later scar remains from the mini tummy tuck, which can be compared to a very fine caesarean section scar. It’s a minor procedure in comparison.
- Tummy tuck in T-cut technique (also called Fleur de Lis tummy tuck): The surgical technique is suitable for beautifying the silhouette in case of a hanging belly, also called fat apron. This plastic aesthetic procedure allows tightening the skin on the abdomen in two directions: Horizontal and vertical. The advantage is that this method is very effective in tightening the skin and contouring the waist. In addition, stretch marks and any scars from previous surgeries are removed along with the excess skin. The disadvantage of the Fleur de Lis technique is that a vertical scar remains in the middle of the abdomen.
Procedure of the operation: How is an abdominoplasty performed?
- As a rule, the skin on the lower abdomen is sutured with self-dissolving skin sutures, except for the belly button.
- Depending on the findings, drainage tubes are inserted into the wound, which can be removed again after a short period of time.
- The surgery time for an abdominoplasty is two to three hours, depending on the extent of the procedure.
When performing surgery on the abdominal wall, fat deposits and sagging skin must be considered equally. Furthermore, a natural alignment of the straight abdominal muscles can be restored. The contours of the abdominal wall should harmonize with the waist and mons veneris. Certain areas can be emphasized in a special way. Knowledge of the nerve courses is important for surgical treatment and for pain elimination during surgery.
An almost invisible scar after a tummy tuck, how does that work?
We pay special attention to an inconspicuous scar after abdominoplasty. With special precautions, certain technical refinements and regular aftercare, all the conditions for optimal healing are met so that hardly any visible scars remain:
- We take care to keep a fine line-shaped scar hidden within the bikini line.
- Thanks to a special suture technique (gathered suture), the scar is several centimetres shorter than in conventional abdominoplasty.
- A special suturing technique distributes the tension to the inner connective tissue and closes the skin without any tension.
- A simultaneous liposuction not only helps to achieve more beautiful contours, it also reduces tension and protects the skin’s blood circulation – two important prerequisites for good healing.
- We suture the wound with very fine sutures in the area of the subcutaneous tissue so as not to damage the skin surface.
- With microsurgical precision and optical magnification, the skin layers are aligned very precisely.
- The formation of an elongated navel a few millimeters deep leaves a scar in the navel that is barely visible.
- We inform and advise our patients when and how you can best support scar healing and what you should pay attention to.
Abdominoplasty for men
Tummy tuck is the fourth most common cosmetic surgery in the U.S. for both women and men . When men lose a lot of weight, skin folds often remain at the waistband. The disturbing wrinkles can be removed by an abdominoplasty. Many at the same time want to get rid of fat deposits on the flanks. For a slim athletic waist, liposuction of the problem areas is performed before the lift. The fine scars are located below the waistband and can also be hidden in a bathing suit.
Before and after pictures of an abdominoplasty
It is not legal to post before and after pictures of cosmetic surgery online. Accordingly, this also applies to the topic of abdominoplasty. However, it goes without saying that when choosing a doctor in the field of cosmetic plastic surgery, patients want to be assured of good results beforehand. During the first consultation, you can view appropriately selected before and after photos without personal data. Care is taken to ensure that the initial situation and the desired result of the exemplary photographs also correspond to your personal situation and your objectives. In close consultation with the patient, a realistic and beautiful result can be planned together.
Financing an abdominoplasty
You have already determined the price of the tummy tuck and would like to have the cosmetic surgery financed? We enlighten you on our page on the subject of credit for cosmetic surgery about all the points on this and give you even further tips. Of course, we will also be happy to advise you on the subject of financing your tummy tuck at CenterPlast in our consultation hours.
The experiences of our patients after an abdominoplasty
Many patients who have undergone tummy tucks at CenterPlast because of their desire for a flatter stomach have agreed to share their experiences with other patients. You can find testimonials and patient testimonials about their tummy tucks on popular medical review portals as well as Google reviews.
Check out our testimonials page to make sure you’re with the right doctor for your tummy tuck. There you will find bundled reviews, detailed reports as well as further information.
Frequently asked questions
A slim waist is generally perceived as particularly attractive . In countries with tropical weather like Brazil, unflattering body contours cannot be concealed under several layers of clothing. These circumstances, coupled with the skill and creativity of Brazilian surgeons, may provide an explanation as to why most tummy tuck techniques have been described by Brazilian plastic surgeons:
Saldanha Oswaldo Ribeiro has disseminated a technique that contours the waist through extensive liposuction, especially in areas where fat cannot be trained away. Another representative of plastic surgery from Brazil, Avelar Juarez Moraes has described several scar-saving techniques for a taut abdomen to leave very inconspicuous scars that can be easily hidden in the bikini area. Ricardo Baroudi has developed a special suturing technique to reduce complications (accumulation of wound water, wide scars).
A special focus of Brazilian plastic surgeons is the harmonious alignment of the adjacent region of the body, for example through a tightening of the mons veneris or an autologous fat treatment of the breast, for an optimal final result.
The difference between twilight sleep and general anaesthesia is artificial respiration. Paralysis of the respiratory muscles, as caused by general anaesthesia, is no longer a prerequisite for painless surgery. Pain elimination techniques have evolved tremendously. Thanks to the precisely dosed administration of sleeping pills and painkillers, abdominoplasty can be performed comfortably and safely in twilight sleep . The targeted anesthesia of the skin nerves of the abdomen ensures that you have less pain even after surgery . As of 2021, over 15 scientific studies have been published confirming the comfort and safety of targeted anesthesia of the abdominal wall nerves before, during, or after abdominoplasty . The benefits of twilight sleep with targeted nerve anesthesia are:
- They are more quickly awake and fit after surgery . .
- You need less strong painkillers.
- After an operation in twilight sleep, you do not have to stay overnight in hospital.
- The risk of a blood clot interrupting blood flow in the leg (thrombosis) or lung (embolism) is lower with twilight sleep than with general anesthesia .
The paired straight abdominal muscles run from the bottom of the ribs to the pubic bone. In the midline, the muscles are connected by a white strip of collagen fibers (Latin name: linea alba). During pregnancy, the growing child stretches the abdominal wall. Especially after several pregnancies, the connective tissue between the straight abdominal muscles can be stretched from one to two centimeters to over five centimeters. Since the tissue made of collagen is inelastic, the gap does not form back after pregnancy. As a result, the straight abdominal muscles take an arcuate course. The altered direction of progression is suspected to promote back pain . With an abdominoplasty, the muscles can be moved back to their original position in the middle of the abdomen. There is evidence that rectus diastasis correction improves straight abdominal muscle strength and back pain .
|Washing myself (with shower patches):||On the first day|
|Dressing and undressing:||On the first day|
|Walking in the house / apartment:||On the first day|
|Stair climbing (1 floor):||On the second day|
|Outdoor walking (10 minutes):||On the second day|
|Cooking (a small meal for myself):||On the second day|
|Housework (laundry, vacuuming the floor):||After a week|
|Doing the shopping (groceries):||After four to five days|
|Driving (up to 50 km):||After four to five days|
|Sexual intercourse:||After two to three weeks|
|Sports (one hour of light fitness training):||After four weeks*|
|Endurance training (cardio training):||After six weeks|
*If rectus diastasis has been treated, abdominal exercise should be avoided for at least three months.
The data are approximate values for orientation. Depending on the general
health condition or extent of the abdominoplasty, the information on physical stress varies, so there may be discrepancies. Always listen to the instructions of your specialist in order to prevent possible complications and not to jeopardize an optimal result.
- After the operation we would like to be convinced of the proper healing and your satisfaction. At the same time as the operation, we therefore also arrange the appointments for aftercare, which in individual cases can take place by video consultation.
- Drains are not needed for every tummy tuck. If an increased bleeding tendency is detected, drains are used, which are usually removed the very next day.
- On the first day after the operation you can shower as usual. It is best to use shower plasters to keep the bandages dry. It is recommended that you take your first shower just before your follow-up appointment so that the dressings can be changed afterwards.
- The wound in the bikini area is sutured with fine threads that dissolve by themselves. Only at the navel the sutures are removed between the tenth and fourteenth day after the operation.
- During the first two weeks, make sure that the hips are slightly bent when lying down (side position with legs drawn up or supine position in a stepped bed). Thus you relieve the abdominal wall and support the healing process.
- The compression garment supports the decongestion. If a rectus diastasis has been corrected, the girdle protects the sewn straight abdominal muscles like an abdominal belt. We recommend that you wear the compression garments day and night for the first six weeks.
- Scar healing begins immediately after surgery. Your surgeon sets the stage for fine and inconspicuous scar healing. By massaging the scars and applying silicone patches, you can make a significant contribution to beautiful healing in the weeks and months that follow. Refrain from sunbathing while the scar is healing so that the scar does not discolor.
- The decongestant effect of arnica, bromelain, or of combination preparations such as Wobenzym has not been proven by scientific studies .
We recommend an abdominoplasty for the beautification of the
Abdominal contours. The physical requirements must be taken into account: Abdominoplasty is particularly suitable for healthy women or men who suffer from increased fat accumulation and skin folds on the abdomen.
Before a tummy tuck you should have reached your desired weight. Weight variations can affect the final result. If you gain weight, your abdominal circumference will increase even after a tightening. However, it is not the case that the liposuctioned fat tissue forms anew. There is also fatty tissue in the abdomen, around the intestines, which increases in volume when you gain weight.
Conversely, a strong weight loss after a tummy tuck can also have a negative effect on the result of the operation.
Since severe overweight increases general possible risks of the operation such as thromboses, embolisms and wound healing disorders, we advise against abdominoplasty for patients with a BMI over 40.
An abdominoplasty should be performed under the best possible circumstances. This, of course, concerns the operation, which our entire surgical team meticulously prepares.
The time after the operation also requires a certain amount of preparation. Avoid binding appointments during your recovery period. A perfectly executed operation will not lead to an optimal result if recovery or aftercare following the operation is not guaranteed.
Occasionally people ask about the best time of year for a tummy tuck. The time of year does not affect surgery or healing. During the aftercare, you should above all be able to rest. A compression girdle should be worn for four to six weeks. The special fits as well as the light and breathable fabric of the bodices are usually not perceived as uncomfortable. At any time of the year, it is of course advisable to adapt to the weather by wearing appropriate clothing and air conditioning in order to avoid freezing or sweating after the operation.
Immediately after the removal of excess skin, the abdomen is already firmer and the contours are slimmer, so you will see a difference in the first few days. Healing is an ongoing process. The following picture should give you an impression of the healing process:
|Operation Day||Depending on the extent and state of health, you can stay overnight at home.|
|Day 1||Inspection of the wound, checking the correct fit of the bodice and renewal of the dressing. After liposuction, the dressings absorb the fluid from the tissue injections for the first 24 hours.|
|Day 3||On-site inspection of the wound and renewal of the dressing. Naturally, there is a slight swelling in the area of the operation.|
|Day 6||On-site visit or video consultation. Occasionally, bruises are now a little more noticeable as the blood spreads through the tissues and follows gravity.|
|Day 10||On-site inspection of the wound and renewal of the dressing.|
|Day 13||Removal of fine stitches from the belly button and instructions for scar care. Due to the breakdown of the blood pigment hemoglobin, the bruises are now orange-yellow. The colour initially changes to violet via green to yellow.|
|41st day||On-site visit or video consultation. As a rule, a clear reduction in swelling is already noticeable. You do not need to wear the girdle now. It is quite normal that the abdomen still feels a little numb.|
|90th day||On-site visit or video consultation. In 90 percent of the patients, the final result is 90 percent recognizable.|
|180. Day||On-site visit or video consultation. The scars slowly become a little softer and paler. Scar healing progresses faster and better the more regularly and consistently you care for your scars.|
|360. Day||Site visit. About a year after the operation, it can be assumed that the tissue no longer changes. Now the before and after pictures can be compared and judged best.|
The answer to this question is, as so often, it depends! Already from a body mass index of 25 kilograms per square meter one speaks of overweight. The question about body weight is used to estimate the risks of surgery. There are a wide variety of factors that influence the risks of surgery. The interaction of these factors means that each patient must be considered individually and as a whole.
The increase in surgical risks due to a limited state of health and the extent of an operation is scientifically well documented. The characteristics that influence the health status include: Age, body weight, cigarette smoking and concomitant diseases. The extent and duration of surgery are determined by the dimensions of the abdomen and the surgical goals.
A risk is usually expressed as a percentage. A risk cannot be described in terms of “never” or “always”. Cigarette smoking is a risk. Smoking twenty cigarettes a day is more harmful than smoking one cigarette a day. Even someone who smokes only one cigarette a day lives more dangerously than a non-smoker.
In young, healthy non-smokers, body weight therefore plays a subordinate role. Nevertheless, we do not recommend an abdominoplasty if your BMI is over 40.
Ideally, an abdominoplasty should be performed after family planning has been completed. Nevertheless, there is no need to fear any disadvantages in pregnancy after an abdominoplasty, neither for the expectant mother nor for the growing child  . An abdominoplasty is also not an obstacle to natural childbirth . Before pregnancy, we recommend waiting one year after abdominoplasty.
The costs of an abdominoplasty are only covered by health insurance in exceptional cases. The Social Security Code stipulates that the benefits provided by the health insurance funds must not exceed what is necessary. This requirement applies to both private and statutory health insurance.
Medically necessary, for example, is the removal of skin folds in case of recurrent skin inflammations after exhaustion of all non-surgical treatment options. The removal of a disfiguring fat apron, which constantly attracts many glances, is also considered medically necessary. If a mental impairment is certified, the Medical Service of the Health Insurance Funds (MDK) usually recommends mental treatment, but not surgery. The benefits provided by health insurance companies are limited to what is medically necessary.
Justifiably high demands on cosmetic surgery are not compatible with the goals of a medically necessary treatment. The assumption of the costs of a tummy tuck requires an application by the insured person.
During a tummy tuck, excess fatty tissue and skin is removed. Since the tissue does not reform, the result lasts a lifetime. Nevertheless, the abdominal circumference can change again after a tightening operation in case of pregnancy or weight gain.
The fatty tissue around the abdominal organs, also called visceral fat, can increase with lack of exercise and poor diet and lead to an increase in circumference. Therefore, make sure you eat a balanced and healthy diet and get enough exercise.
Before treatment, your goals must be precisely defined, as each treatment method has different objectives. An abdominoplasty serves to tighten the abdominal skin. Liposuctionreduces the volume of fat and beautifies the contours of the body. In the case of a protruding abdomen, there is usually both an increase in fatty tissue and excess skin.
Therefore, we usually recommend combining an abdominoplasty with liposuction. In the case of a pot belly, the excess skin is in the foreground. In a potbelly, on the other hand, there is often an increase in fatty tissue and occasionally a rectus diastasis.
Every treatment is associated with opportunities but also with risks. The likelihood of the risks changes with the patient’s health and the extent of the surgery. Your safety and satisfaction are our top priority. To keep the risks as low as possible, cigarette smoking should be avoided before and after surgery. In order to reduce the risk of thrombosis, the use of the contraceptive pill should be temporarily discontinued.
The rate of complications requiring treatment for
Abdominoplasty is roughly put at four percent . Among the general
Surgical risks include inflammation, secondary bleeding, thrombosis and embolism. Food supplements (omega-3 fatty acids, St. John’s wort preparations, etc.) and vitamin preparations (A, E) can impair blood coagulation and increase the surgical risk of secondary bleeding. We therefore recommend that you stop taking certain dietary supplements four weeks prior to
of a tummy tuck.
Specific complications of an abdominoplasty include numbness, usually temporary, wound water collection, and skin peaking. Careful planning and preparation as well as regular follow-up are important to prevent any complication in rare cases, to detect them in time and to treat them.
Yes, in principle, cosmetic surgery on different parts of the body can be combined. Performing a tummy tuck and breast surgery at the same time is called a “mommy makeover” in the US. We recommend the combination of different surgical procedures
to be weighed carefully: When sitting or lying down, the flow rate of blood in the body vessels is reduced.
This is why there is a risk of blood clots forming in the leg veins during air travel, for example. As expected, the risk of thrombosis is greater for long-haul flights than for short-haul flights. It is therefore not surprising that an operation that lasts, for example, an hour, is in principle less expensive.
than a surgery that takes 8 hours.
Nearly 27 percent of tummy tucks are performed between the ages of 51 and 64 . Many are actively shaping their transition into retirement and would like to further expand their social participation. Through healthy living and physical activity, biological age can be many years younger than chronological age.
Those who are physically fit do not need to limit themselves in their leisure activities. Even in late adulthood, you can still climb mountains. This also applies to cosmetic surgery.
“We provide you with extensive expert knowledge so that we can work with you to select the best possible treatment path.”
Dr. med. Stéphane steel is the former director of the Clinic for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery / Hand Surgery at the Lüdenscheid Clinic. Dr. Stahl studied medicine at the Universities of Freiburg and Berlin. In 2011 he passed the European and 2012 the German specialist examination for plastic and aesthetic surgery. Further specialist qualifications and additional qualifications followed (including quality management, medical didactics, physical therapy, emergency medicine, laser protection officers, hand surgery) as well as prizes and awards. In 2015 he completed his habilitation in plastic and aesthetic surgery in Tübingen. He is an experienced microsurgeon, a sought-after expert and a regular speaker at specialist congresses. After a multi-stage selection process, Stéphane Stahl became a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), one of the world’s largest and most influential specialist societies for aesthetic surgery. His authorship includes numerous articles in respected peer review journals and standard surgical textbooks.
|↑1.||ISAPS International Survey 2019|
|↑2.||Demars M. In: Voloir P, ed. Opérations plastiques sous-aponévrotiques sur la paroi abdominale anterieure. Thèse, Paris, France; 1960|
|↑3, ↑21.||ASAPS Statistics 2019|
|↑4.||Lassek W. D., Gaulin S. J. C., 2016, Evol. Psychol.|
|↑5.||Kryger Z.B., Fine N.A., Mustoe T.A., 2004, Plast. Reconstr. Surg.|
|↑6.||Michaels B.M., Eko F.N., 2009, Plast. Reconstr. Surg.|
|↑7.||Vonu P.M., Campbell P., Prince N., Mast B.A., 2020, Aesthet Surg J.|
|↑8.||Byrd H.S., Barton F.E., Orenstein H.H., et al., 2003, Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003|
|↑9.||Bitar G., Mullis W., Jacobs W., et al, 2003. Plast Reconstr Surg|
|↑10.||Reinisch J.F., Bresnick S.D., Walker J.W., Rosso R.F., 2001, Plast Reconstr Surg.|
|↑11.||Benjamin D.R., Frawley H.C., Shields N., et al., 2019, Physiotherapy|
|↑12.||Emanuelsson P., Gunnarsson U., Dahlstrand U., et al., 2016, Surgery|
|↑13.||Blaudeau T.E., Hunter G.R., Sirikul B., 2006, Int J Obes Lond|
|↑14.||Ho D., Jagdeo J., Waldorf H.A., 2016 .Dermatol Surg.|
|↑15.||Borman H., 2002, Plast Reconstr Surg.|
|↑16.||Nahas F.X., 2002, Aesthetic Plast. Surg.|
|↑17.||Pajula S, et al, 2021, J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg.|
|↑18.||Winocour J., et al., 2015, Plast Reconstr Surg.|
|↑19.||Kraft C.T., Janis J.E., 2020, Clin Plast Surg.|
|↑20.||Vasilakis V., Lisiecki J.L., Kortesis B.G., et all, 2021, Aesthet Surg J.|