The female pubic mound (mons pubis) begins at the level of the pubic branch approximately at the level of the pubic hair and extends to the anterior junction of the two large labia of the vagina. The youthful pubic mound is narrow and is characterized by good, firm skin with high elasticity and moderate subcutaneous fat.
Curvature of the female pubic mound can be hereditary. With age, after pregnancy or after weight fluctuations, excess skin can remain in the genital area of affected women. This often results in discomfort and even pain during sexual intercourse as well as hygienic problems. Some women also feel ashamed of their own body due to an unaesthetic shape of the genital area.
Liposuction is usually done to reduce the size of a woman's mons pubis. Excess fat tissue is suctioned off the affected area with fine cannulas in order to reduce the size of the mound and achieve the desired shape. For a harmonious overall picture of the vagina and the surrounding areas of the body, the combination of this liposuction with additional procedures can sometimes be helpful. Depending on the severity, the correction of the pubic mound region can be sensibly supplemented by tightening the abdominal wall (abdominoplasty) in order to maintain natural proportions.
Some women choose to have several methods of aesthetic surgery on the female genitals as part of one treatment appointment. Among other things, there are treatments to reduce the size of the inner labia and to enlarge the outer labia. This often for the purpose of producing the symmetry of the labia and to form an aesthetic and harmonious overall female image. Furthermore, in the case of an enlarged clitoris, it is possible in reasonable cases to remove the excess skin on the clitoral hood (clitoral jacket) and to reduce the volume.
In some cases it is not about cosmetic surgery on the vagina, but rather procedures for medical reasons to eliminate certain, sometimes severe symptoms of the woman. In a personal consultation in the practice, the plastic surgeon will discuss any complaints with you. She asks for her ideas and goals with regard to changing the size of the female pubic mound. Furthermore, she clearly explains to you about the possible risks of a pubic mound reduction. In a personal conversation, you will also find out what costs would be expected in your case. In advance you have the opportunity to find out about the price framework on our costs page. Costs can of course only be covered by the health insurance company in medically necessary cases. For more information on this, you can visit our page on the liability of health insurance companies in such cases.
Before the operation begins, a number of routine checks are carried out to ensure that all necessary precautions have been taken to ensure the patient's maximum safety. Only when all the prerequisites according to the checklist have been met will the operation begin.
Before starting, the areas to be treated are marked in a standing position. You will then be given a sleeping pill via a cannula, so that further events will bypass you.
If the procedure is carried out in twilight sleep, you will be given medication that will relieve you of anxiety and greatly reduce your sensitivity to pain. This is followed by local anesthesia: the specialist in intimate surgery injects a sterile physiological water-adrenaline solution with anesthetic ("tumescent local anesthesia"). The areas to be treated will be numb within five to ten minutes. If you are not sleeping deeply anyway, you may feel that something is going on on the surface of your body. In the case of general anesthesia, the centrally acting painkillers replace the local anesthetic in the water-adrenaline solution.
The marked areas are injected under in order to operate more gently and to prevent the formation of bruises and contour irregularities ("tumescent technique"). The tissue is injected under with fine microcannulas and the fat is sucked off. The skin incisions of about two to three millimeters are hidden in skin folds. After the tissue has been infiltrated and loosened, the surgeon will perform liposuction. The excess fat is removed by vacuum using an aspiration cannula. The cannulas are inserted through several openings and guided in a fan shape in order to achieve a suction pattern that is as uniform as possible. If the skin is very slack, the female pubic mound is tightened via a horizontal access in the pubic hair area. The wounds are then sewn with fine threads that can be removed after about ten days. Finally, a compression bandage is applied. The bandage reduces swelling and pain and adapts the skin to the new contours.
Immediately after the pubic mound reduction, you will be continuously monitored in a so-called recovery room. As soon as you fully wake up after the intimate surgery procedure, you are allowed to drink something and, if you can tolerate it well, also to eat something. When you go to the toilet for the first time, you will be supported by our nursing staff. Before you leave the practice, control appointments are made and the behavioral measures are discussed in detail with you. You will be given a comprehensive written report and a telephone number where you can reach the surgeon 24 hours a day in an emergency.
Before, after and even during the treatment, you can watch movies or your favorite series with virtual reality glasses. Not only is this entertaining, the distraction has also been shown to decrease sensitivity to pain.
- All of your questions about possible complications and alternative treatments should be answered beforehand.
- The time of surgery should be as far away from menstruation as possible.
- The genital area (pubic mound, vagina including clitoris and labia) should be free of infections, genital warts or inflammation.
- The intimate shave can cause skin irritation or injury. In order to minimize the risk of inflammation, only an electric clipper should be used in the week before the surgery.
- On the day of the operation, shower with a special disinfecting soap (e.g. HiBiScrub® Plus, Octenisan® Wash Lotion, Prontoderm® Shower Gel).
- Keep nicotine and alcohol consumption to a minimum.
- The use of hormone-containing medication (pill) may have to be temporarily stopped.
- Blood-thinning medication (e.g. ASA, Thomapyrin®) must be discontinued at least ten days before the surgery appointment after consulting your doctor.
- Vitamin preparations (A, E) and food supplements (omega-3 fatty acids, St. John's wort preparations, etc.) must be discontinued at least four weeks before the operation.
- Intimate surgery restricts the ability to travel by air. Therefore, do not plan any professional or private air travel for the next four weeks.
- Follow-up cost insurance should be taken out before aesthetic interventions are carried out.
- Regular checks of your well-being and the results of the operation follow.
- After the intimate surgical change, you should disinfect the fresh sutures in the morning and in the evening for 14 days (e.g. with Octenisept® or Lavanid® Gel).
- Shower with a disinfecting soap (e.g. HiBiScrub® Plus, Octenisan® Wash Lotion, Prontoderm® Shower Gel) from the first postoperative day.
- Regular cooling will help keep the inevitable swelling down. Three weeks after you were treated, most of the swelling has subsided.
- You can usually return to work the day after treatment. However, we recommend little sitting for the first ten days after the operation.
- Women should not use tampons for the first three weeks after surgery.
- Bending over, lifting heavy loads, swimming, using the sauna, sexual intercourse, and exercise should be avoided for four weeks, possibly longer if swelling persists.
If you want to read testimonials and reviews from our patients, visit our testimonials page.
Patients often want to see a before-and-after picture before plastic-aesthetic surgery in order to be able to imagine what the end result might look like. This possibility exists in a personal consultation. Of course, all data protection regulations are adhered to. To learn more about viewing such photos, visit our Before and After Pictures page.