Radiesse® is a solid and viscous fabric filler. Radiesse® has been approved in Europe since 2004 and in the USA since 2006. The fabric filler is manufactured by the Merz company. The filler consists of 30 percent of the smallest calcium hydroxyapatite particles (microspheres with a diameter of 25 to 45 micrometers). Calcium hydroxyapatite is composed of calcium and phosphate. It is a natural building block of the human body and is found in bones, among other things. In the ready-to-use syringes, the calcium hydroxyapatite is dissolved in water (approx. 25 percent), sodium carboxymethylcellulose (9 percent) and glycerine (4 percent). The dermal filler contains the local anaesthetic lidocaine (0.3 percent).
A key advantage of Radiesse® is that it has a wealth of experience since its introduction in 2004. Accordingly, the effect has been tested and proven in various studies. Radiesse® can be used for the following reasons:
- Correction of bone loss at the temples
- Contouring of the face in case of fat loss on the cheeks
- Filling hollow cheeks
- Smoothing of deep wrinkles
- Concrete or filling of the zygomatic bones
- Optimizing the furrows of the nose-cheek area
- Modelling of the jaw angle
- Lamination of hanging cheeks
- Manual rejuvenation
- Helps against protruding veins on the hands
- Tightening effect on hanging skin on the upper arms
- Smoothing effect with Celullite
- Improve the skin quality on the upper arms or abdomen
- Reduce stretch marks
- Improve skin elasticity at the décolleté and neck
The properties of the calcium hydroxyapatite particles ensure a long-lasting and reliable effect.
Important characteristic values:
- Duration of action (months): 12
- Modulus of elasticity (G' in Pascal, at 30°Celsius and 0.7 Hertz): 1407 (Sundaram H., et al., 2013, Plast Reconstr Surg)
- Viscosity modulus (G' in Pascal, at 30°Celsius and 0.7 Hertz): 605 (Sundaram H., et al., 2013, Plast Reconstr Surg)
- Quotient of viscosity and elasticity (Tan Delta value): 0.43
The effect of Radiesse® is based on two effects:
- Injecting near the bone gives a healthier expression through increased volume. Calcium hydroxyapatite corrects age- or genetic changes in the cheeks, zygomatic bone, temples or chin.
- Radiesse® increases skin tone and collagen production. The injection has a strengthening effect on thin skin (Lapatina NG, et al, 2017, J Drugs Dermatol).
Calcium hydroxyapatite can be combined with other fillers, such as hyaluronic acid, with botulinum toxin and with poly-L-lactic acid. Botox application one week before Radiesse® injections prolongs the success of the treatment. For a holistic treatment and optimal results, additional use of Sculptra® is recommended. Muscle relaxation, volume build-up and skin rejuvenation complement each other and ensure long-term, visible results.