Radiesse®- Product & Application
What is Radiesse®?
Radiesse® is a solid and viscous tissue filler frequently used by plastic surgery specialists.
Radiesse® has been approved in Europe since 2004 and in the USA since 2006. The fabric filler is produced by the company Merz manufactured. The filler consists of 30 percent tiny calcium hydroxyapatite particles (microspheres 25 to 45 micrometers in diameter). Calcium hydroxyapatite is composed of calcium and phosphate. It is a natural building block of the human body and is found, among other things, in bone. In the prefilled syringes, the calcium hydroxyapatite is dissolved in water (approximately 25 percent), sodium carboxymethylcellulose (9 percent) and glycerin (4 percent). The dermal filler contains the local anesthetic lidocaine (0.3 percent).
Indications for Radiesse®
A major advantage of Radiesse® is that there is a great deal of empirical data since its introduction in 2004. Accordingly, the effect has been well investigated and proven in various studies. Radiesse® can be used for the following reasons:
- Correction of bone loss at the temples
- Contouring of the face in case of fat loss on the cheeks
- Filling hollow cheeks
- Smoothing deep wrinkles
- Emphasize or fill the cheekbones
- Optimizing the furrows of the nose-cheek area
- Modeling of the jaw angle
- Concealing sagging cheeks
- Hand rejuvenation
- Helps against protruding veins on the hands
- Firming effect for sagging skin on the upper arms
- Smoothing effect on the skin of the buttocks
- Improve the quality of the skin on the upper arms or abdomen
- Reduce pregnancy stripes
- Improve skin elasticity on the décolleté and neck
- Improves the appearance of the skin with Celullite
How long does Radiesse® last?
The properties of the calcium hydroxyapatite particles ensure a long-lasting and reliable effect.
Important characteristic values:
- Duration of action (months): 12
- Modulus of elasticity (G’ in Pascal, at 30°Celsius and 0.7 Hertz): 1407 (Sundaram H., et al., 2013, Plast Reconstr Surg).
- Modulus of viscosity (G” in Pascal, at 30°Celsius and 0.7 Hertz): 605 (Sundaram H., et al., 2013, Plast Reconstr Surg).
- Quotient of viscosity and elasticity (Tan Delta value): 0.43
How does Radiesse® work?
The effect is based on two effects:
- Injecting near the bone helps to achieve a healthier expression by adding volume. Calcium hydroxyapatite corrects age-related or genetic changes in the cheeks, cheekbone, temples or chin.
- Radiesse® increases the elasticity and collagen production of the skin. Injection has a strengthening effect on thin skin (Lapatina NG, et al, 2017, J Drugs Dermatol).
Radiesse® and hyaluron
Calcium hydroxyapatite can be combined with other fillers, such as hyaluronic acid, with muscle relaxants and with poly-L-lactic acid. The use of a muscle relaxant one week before the Radiesse® injection prolongs the success of the treatment. Muscle relaxation, volume building and skin rejuvenation complement each other and provide long-term and visible results.
Fuller lips through lip injections: How is lip correction performed with hyaluron or autologous fat fillers? More about the
Lip injections with filler
Here you can learn all about how to smooth the nasolabial fold between the mouth and nose with hyaluronic acid treatment.
Naolabial fold correction
Are you bothered by the drooping corners of your mouth? A hyaluronic acid treatment can smooth out your marionette lines. You can find out everything about mouth corner lifting with filler here. More about the
Correction of marionette wrinkles
You would like to enlarge your chin or wish to have a chin augmentation? Hyaluronic injections can effectively treat your receding or small chin. More about
Sunken cheeks can be corrected with hyaluron or autologous fat. Learn more about cheek augmentation with fillers.
A nose job without surgery? Unwanted humps as well as the tip of the nose can be evened out with hyaluronic acid. More about the
Rhinoplasty without surgery