Would you like a fuller breast that suits you? Breast augmentation with an implant is one of the classic procedures in plastic and aesthetic surgery.
Implants are selected according to their shape, size, outer wall and filling material. CE and FDA certifications attest to compliance with European and American quality standards. For the selection of the right implant, your wishes for changes and your individual anatomical conditions should be taken into consideration.
Breast implants are usually inserted through a few centimeters of access in the area of the planned lower breast fold. Alternative approaches are the armpit or at the edge of the areola. They can be placed under or above the large pectoral muscles or under the mammary glands.
- All your questions about possible complications and alternative treatments should be answered in advance.
- Keep nicotine and alcohol consumption to a minimum!
- If necessary, take hormone-containing medication (the pill) temporarily.
- Blood-thinning medication (e.g. ASS, Thomapyrin®) must be discontinued at least 10 days before the operation after consultation with your doctor.
- Vitamin preparations (A, E) and food supplements (omega-3 fatty acids, St. John's wort preparations, etc.) must be discontinued at least 4 weeks before the operation.
- Surgery limits the ability to travel by air. Therefore, do not plan any professional or private air travel during the 6 weeks after the operation!
- The procedure is performed under general anesthesia as part of an outpatient procedure.
- The wound is mainly sutured with self-dissolving skin threads.
- Depending on the findings, drainage tubes are inserted into the wound, which can be removed again after a short period.
- The procedure takes about 60 minutes.
- Your well-being and the result of the operation will be checked regularly.
- Make sure that your upper body is elevated by 30 degrees during the first five days, including when you sleep. This ensures better decongestation and wound healing.
- During the first six weeks you should sleep on your back. This reduces the risk of the implants slipping or twisting.
- From the third postoperative day, you can shower in the CenterPlast Saarbrücken before the wound check.
- Wear the previously fitted support bras continuously for six weeks.
- Massage the scar several times a day for a few minutes from the third postoperative week. Use an oily cream such as Bepanthen® Ointment or Linola® Fat. Pay attention to circular, longitudinal and transverse movements of the scar. These measures help to create an inconspicuous scar.
- Avoid bending over, lifting heavy loads, swimming, sauna, sexual intercourse and sporting activities for four weeks. If swelling still exists, a longer period of rest may be advisable.
When selecting the right implant, decisions must be made regarding shape, projection (implant thickness), surface (outer wall), filling material, strength, manufacturer and size.
Shapes of the implant
- Anatomical or drop-shaped implants: natural shape, risk of twisting of the implant, anatomical implants therefore have a rough surface.
- Round implants: full neckline.
- Medium projection: most natural results.
- High projection: tends to have a full shape.
Outer wall of the implant
- Silicone shell with smooth surface: tends to be smaller, risk of capsule contracture increased.
- Silicone shell with rough surface: better adhesion to tissue, prerequisite for the use of anatomical implants, increased risk of ALCL.
Filling material of the implant
- Silicone: usually dimensionally stable, less risk of wrinkling.
- Physiological saline solution: slightly dimensionally stable, risk of wrinkling increased.
Strength of the implant
- Low strength: more natural shape, less projection.
- High strength: unnatural shape especially when lying down, high projection.
Manufacturer of the implant
Allergan, Inc. (USA, founded 1948), Establishment Labs S.A. (USA, founded 2004, Motiva®), Mentor (USA, founded 1969), GC Aesthetics PLC (Germany, founded 2015 with acquisition of Nagor Ltd. (UK, founded 1979) and Eurosilicone (France, founded 1995), Polytech Health & Aesthetics (Germany, founded 1986, B-Lite®), Sebbin (France, founded 1986).
Size of the implant
Depending on age, height and weight, chest circumference and shape of the chest. Roughly orienting, 130 to 150 ml correspond to a breast enlargement of one cup size. In the USA 300 to 350ml are most frequently used and in Germany 250 to 300ml. Average cup sizes vary from country to country and generally cup size increases with body weight.